NS record for 127.0.0.1?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 11 19:57:55 UTC 2000

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 10:58:30PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

Absolutely not.  Not all hosts have name server daemons running on
them.  It should be the name of your machine (or multiple records with
the names of your machines) running the name server daemon 'named'.

> Since all nameservers need to include data for 127.0.0.1 I would like
> to have a generic file that would be used for all of them.  I would
> like to list the NS record as "localhost." such as in my example below
> so that I do not need any customization of the file in different
> domains.

It's a nice wish.  It won't work.  You should have the correct name
server names in there.

You also need to configure the SOA record with your correct master name
server and e-mail address.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B