Reverse lookups

John Cichy john at greengator.com
Sat Dec 9 19:22:07 UTC 2000

Hello all,

This is my first post, please be gentle.

I need some advice about reverse-lookups. I have 5 static IP addresses
supplied to me by my ISP.  I have bind 2.2p5 setup to resolve my ip's to
the proper hosts on my network. The problem comes in when I try to
reverse lookup, if in named.conf I put:

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    type master;
    file "db.192.168.1";
}   ; example addresses changed purposely

nslookup returns the proper hostnames for my IP's
(192.168.1.10,192.168.1.11,192.168.1.12.192.168.1.13,192.168.1.14), but
fails on any IP's that are outside of my range (ex 192.168.1.50), this
makes sense because I have not defined this address.

If I try to use my network number (192.168.1.9) in the zone statement:

zone "9.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    type master;
    file "db.192.168.1";
}   ; example addresses changed purposely

nslookup  asks my ISP's dns servers to resolve the address, again this
makes sense because if I asked for 192.168.1.10 bind should not use this
zone. My ISP says that they will update their reverse lookup tables if I
send them a hostname for each IP. Sounds great, but here is my concern,
I am running virtual hosts on the ip's. Will it cause problems when
someone has received the IP 192.168.1.10 for virtualhost2.com, but when
reverse lookup is done the get mainhost.com instead? I don't completely
understand what the adverse affects of a different hostname being
returned on the reverse-lookup.

BTW: my ISP's dns servers do return a hostname, although not mine, maybe
I should not do anything with reverse-lookup then????

Thanks in advance and have a great day...
John