Delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 8 21:39:33 UTC 2000

BIND 8's named seems to have this nasty habit of dropping delegation NS records
when the parent zone is dynamically-updateable and it happens to also be slave for
the subzone. Most of the time this "doesn't matter" because the NS records in the
subzone will overlay the delegation NS records, even in a zone transfer. But if
you ever *stop* slaving the subzone, BIND 8's named does not regenerate the
delegation NS records, so essentially the subzone goes *poof*! I suspect that's
what happened here.

Hopefully BIND 9 handles things a little better.

- Kevin