DNS w/Win2k

Sam Sylar jsylar at erac.com
Thu Dec 7 16:15:04 UTC 2000

It would be better, if you need to deploy W2K, to run a pair of DC's in an
AD-integrated zone. Provided you have the green to spring for the extra DC,
that will take care of fail-over and replication, and you shouldn't ever
have to reconfigure a slave. Use the BIND box as a slave to monitor your AD
zones.
BIND has a hard time not only with the way records are updated by W2K, but
the number of updates (W2K DNS is verbose, to say the least). Also, if you
have w95/w98 clients on your network, you'll still need WINS. W2K DC's
forward WINS queries (forward and reverse) through DNS if the option is
enabled, which it is by default. Needless to say, that alone drove our BIND
box nuts. Since we have 6000 windows desktops, we punted and gave the
top-level zones to W2K. We moved our BIND boxes into a subdelegation set up
for our Unix gear, where they are masters for that zone.
Best regards,
Sam