BIND8.2.2 - Slave servers don't update NS records

Aleksey Varzhel lesha12 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 05:41:29 UTC 2000

>On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:51:44PM +0300, Aleksey Varzhel wrote: >
>199901130 ; ... > Of course I updated serial number in the
>nnamed.inetcafe.ru
>
>Well, there goes my theory. I felt for sure that that serial number hadn't
>been updated since 13 Jan 1999. ;-]

I have tried to change the serial number to more appropriate ( like
200012061 ) but it did not help. BTW my understanding is that it doesn't
matter what number you use as serial. The most important that this number
MUST be different from the previous one ( I just incremented it ). Am I
right ?
Though 6 Dec 2000 looks more natural :).

>What are the serial numbers in the SOA records as read from the master and
>the slaves?

On the master I ran nslookup and typed "ls -d inetcafe.ru". It returned
exactly containment of my zone file including the serial of course.
Unfortunately I have no access on slave servers ( I mean physical access, I
can not start nslookup from there ).

>From the slave, can you resolve the name "www.jaba.inetcafe.ru"? If not,
>what is the error message? Also, can you resolve it from the slave using
>the master as your name server?

Again I used "nslookup". Setup one of slave servers as default and asked
about "www.jaba.inetcafe.ru". Reply was like this:
<ip address> can't resolve "www.jaba.inetcafe.ru": unspecified error
It is not much information, is it ?
I am sorry, could you advise me how to "resolve it from the slave using the
master as your name server", please.

Here is another development of this issue. Yesterday I found that slave
servers suddenly saw my subdomains. So probably they do update on a daily
basis and have some restriction on update on NOTIFY message. Is it possible
?
And the question is still alive:-
Is it possible to make slave servers see an updated zone immediately ???

Thank you.