Virtual domian as NS ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 7 04:00:17 UTC 2000

While it is possible to run multiple nameserver instances on a single box,
I see no reason to do so here. A single nameserver instance is capable of being
both master and slave for different zones. For redundancy, however, every zone
should have at least 2 nameserver *machines* serving it, preferably on
different networks. If you serve a zone all from nameserver instances running
on the same machine, then the machine hardware and operating system becomes a
single point of failure for the zone. So, if you care about availability, get
another box or get someone else to be a slave for your zone(s).

- Kevin