problem on a n NS delegation

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 6 19:07:07 UTC 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 08:52:06AM +0100, Julien Mabillard wrote:
> I have registered a second level domain as foo.net, and I would like to
> create the zone bar.foo.net and delegate the zone to another name server.
>
> Usuallly, I create the zone on my master (SOA RR), and I create two NS RR
> that are the names of the name servers to which I want to delegate the zone:
>
> $ORIGIN foo.net.
> @ IN SOA my.master hostmaster.my.master ( ....... )
>   IN NS the.other.master
>   IN NS my.slave
>
> So, on my slave, I configured this zone the master being the other master.
> It works fine and the xfr transfers as well.
> But on my master, when I make a query, it does not quey the delegated master
> name server and only claims that the requested fqdn does not exist, whereas
> on an NS query, it shows thwe good nameservers.

foo.net	nameserver = MOUNTAIN.foo.net
foo.net	nameserver = NS1.LEFFERT.NET
MOUNTAIN.foo.net	internet address = 131.215.43.99
NS1.LEFFERT.NET	internet address = 204.73.108.118

Curious, this does not match.

It would help if you entered the real lines.  Then I would know whether
the following comment is based on a typo of yours, or whether you
really did this.

The above lines say that "foo.net" has name servers
"the.other.master.foo.net" and "my.slave.foo.net".  They say NOTHING AT
ALL about domain "bar.foo.net".  In fact, there is even no SOA record
for the latter domain.

In your "foo.net"-level zone file, you must have lines that say:

bar		IN NS		server1.domain.
bar		IN NS		server2.domain2.

If server1.domain and server2.domain are in sub-domains of "foo.net" [I
hate using those names, knowing they are not the right ones], then you
should also have A records for them in that zone file.

In a SEPARATE zone file, which should be on one or both of
server1.domain and server2.domain2 [and which should NOT be on your
"foo.net" name server unless it just happens to be one of those
machines], you should have:

$TTL	...
@	IN SOA	...
		IN NS		server1.domain.
		IN NS		server2.domain2.

This level of redundancy is necessary.

Note the UTTER LACK of "$ORIGIN" statements.  There is an implicit
"$ORIGIN" from the zone ... {}; statement in /etc/named.conf.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
	PLEASE ... send or Cc: all "COSPO/OSIS Computer Support"
		     mail to sys-adm at cospo.osis.gov