Temporary dns on a Partitioned Network

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Dec 5 20:16:18 UTC 2000

	We will be temporarily installing a Sun Sparc running
bind8.2.2pl7 on a network which must stay up internally while the
rest of our backbone is being upgraded.  In other words, all the
systems in that building must talk to each other even if they
can't communicate over the Internet or to the rest of the campus.

	I have seen our name servers hang when we have lost
Internet connectivity and I figured it was due to the inability
to contact root name servers.  Is there anything I can do to make
bind happy and continue to provide service to these
local systems?

	This will basically be a closed internal network for a
day or so with no opportunity to communicate with any other sites
than those in the building.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group