Console logging...how di I redirect?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 4 17:12:24 UTC 2000

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 12:49:44AM +0100, Chris Boot wrote:
> I was wondering how I could redirect named's logging output from the console
> to some log file or even better, /dev/null...

The 'named' program by default logs to 'syslogd'.  You can change its
output by changing the contents of /etc/syslog.conf.  This is well
documented.

Read the section in the named.conf manual entry about logging.  In BIND
8 and 9, there is a rich set of ways to redirect logging for various
types of messages.

You really should NOT turn off logging entirely.  If you do, then when
and if things go wrong, you will have no way of knowing what or fixing
it!  Instead, rotate your logs so that you keep only the last N days'
output.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B