Err/TO Syslog Message

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Dec 1 17:13:21 UTC 2000

    JLR> I continually get the following message posted to Syslog:
    JLR> named[18987]: Err/TO getting serial# for "sub.mydomain.com"

    JLR> It's being generated by my Secondary DNS, on all zones it's a
    JLR> secondary for.

    JLR> I found some documentation on the error saying it could be an
    JLR> incorrect IP address in named.boot (.conf), network
    JLR> reachability issue, or the primary being lame for the zone.

That documentation is correct. So have you tried troubleshooting each
of these possibilities? Can you ping the IP address or the master
server? Is it running a name server? Is that server answering
authoritatively for the zone? [Repeat these checks for each zone and
master name server.] BTW these are rhetorical questions. Try to
answer them yourself. If you run the master server(s) for these
zone(s), check their logs. Any problems they have should be identified
there.

    JLR> None of these seem to be the problem as both the Primary and
    JLR> Secondary resolve names correctly.  The Secondary just keeps
    JLR> posting this message.

The error message means something is definitely wrong. The names are
probably not being resolved correctly. Maybe the master (primary)
server isn't authoritative for the zone any more => no zone transfers
=> no authoritative slave (secondary) server => zone expiry and no
zone data at all => the sky falling in. Eventually.

If you'd posted worthwhile information like your slave server's config
file, someone might have been able to check things out for you. But
you didn't so we can't guess what the names of the zones are or the
addresses of the master server. Oh well.