Connection timed out: BIND 9.0.1

Brian Murphy murphy at email.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 1 06:04:00 UTC 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:22:07PM +1100, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> 	GDS does not respond to EDNS probes (queries w/ additional data).
>
> 	What you are seeing is the server trying with a EDNS query then
> 	after timing out retrying w/o EDNS.
>
> 	The GDS server should at least meet RFC 1035 and either ignore
> 	the additional data in the query or send a FORMERR.  It does
> 	neither.  It appears to just drop the ENDS query on the floor.

Mark, thank you for the quick response.  I've done some reading and have
two followup questions.

First, since BIND is a full resolver, wouldn't it make sense that it
not return an error until it has completed all of its iterations.  More
specifically, since the EDNS0 probe fails and BIND automatically retries
the query without ENDS0 and AD (per the migration doc), wouldn't it be
proper for BIND to not return until it knows the results of the retried
query?

Second, is there an option to disable Extended DNS in BIND 9?

Brian
P.S. Yes, I want Critical Path to fix their software too.