SOA problem with round-robin host ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 25 20:10:44 UTC 2000

cht at krank.imipolex-g.com wrote:

> I have three hosts set up in a round-robin load sharing situation like this-
>
> file "db.loserdomain.com":
>
> @       IN      SOA     localhost.      admin.loserdomain.com.  (
>                         2000082401      ; Serial
>                         3H              ; Refresh
>                         15M             ; Retry
>                         4W              ; Expire
>                         2H              ; Minimum TTL
>                         )
>
>                         IN      NS      ns1.loserdomain.com.
>                         IN      NS      ns2.loserdomain.com.
>
> www             5       IN      A       145.185.202.204
> www             5       IN      A       145.185.202.197
> www             5       IN      A       145.185.202.209
>
> Then lets say I have another domain, "saddomain.com", with a zone file
> "db.saddomain.com":
>
> @       IN      SOA     localhost.      admin.loserdomain.com.  (
>                         2000082402      ; Serial
>                         3H              ; Refresh
>                         15M             ; Retry
>                         4W              ; Expire
>                         6H              ; Minimum TTL
>                         )
>
>                         IN      NS      ns1.loserdomain.com.
>                         IN      NS      ns2.loserdomain.com.
>                         IN      CNAME   www.sierra.com.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is a problem right here. The name of the domain
cannot be a CNAME. CNAME's can't co-exist with other record types. You have 2
NS records and 1 SOA for "saddomain.com", so that name cannot also be a CNAME.
Instead, you should add an A record with whatever address
"www.sierra.com" resolves to.

It's difficult to tell whether this is the root cause of your problem, given that
you've "fictionalized" the domain names. But fix that and see what you get.

- Kevin