Probably classless arpa delegation.

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Mon Aug 28 17:20:53 UTC 2000

Hi,

Probably a very FAQ, but I can't find a satisfying answer :

My provider has a /19 class, about 8100 IP's.
I've got 10 on those, and I want to direct SOA from my providers ns to
mine.

This is what is in my provider's DNS :

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
51.192.204.212.in-addr.arpa.  1D IN NS  ns1.jdimedia.nl.

This is what is in mine :

zone "192.204.212.in-addr.arpa" {
   type master;
   file "zones/own/192.204.212";
};

The file mentioned is a standard zone file, listen my IP range alla :

51	PTR	jdi.jdimedia.nl.

For some reason, this always gives wrong results. I even get records that
even aren't in my zone file..

I've read some docs about classless ARPA delegation, but is that possible
in my situation, en what do I put in my zone file, and what does my
provider has to put in theirs ??

Some example docs would be more than welcome.

		Regards,

			Igmar Palsenberg