DDNS server-side solution

Carlos Cantu/Boulder/IBM ccantu at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 25 16:02:00 UTC 2000

Granted PTR records don't magically appear, but I thought if the DHCP
server is correctly configured to do dynamic updates, that it was its
"duty" to create the PTR records. Conversely, A records can be created =
by
the client or server (assuming they are authoratative).  In my example,=
 the
client was asking the server to handle the A record on its behalf and I=

assumed the PTR record was also going to be created by the server.  Per=
haps
a wrong assumption?

Carlos

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

Carlos Cantu/Boulder/IBM <ccantu at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Using a proprietary DHCP client, I ask the DHCP server (using the FQD=
> option) to do DNS Updates on the client's behalf.
> The client asks for 'myname.can2dom.com'.
> The server has been configured to give a permanent address with the
> hostname 'servname' and the same domain.
> As you may have guessed by my names, this is just a local test
evironment.
> And my DNS server and DHCP server are the same machine.

> The server wins the battle of names because I can't ping using 'mynam=
e',
> but I can using 'servname.can2dom.com'.  We might conclude that DHCP
worked
> since the client has an IP and the Dynamic Update worked because I ca=
ping
> by name immediately following the client's boot.

Peter H=E5kanson wrote:

You have to add PTR records too, they don't come into existance
automatically!

Besides, you can look in the zone-files for the result(after a while
bind(8)
will overwrite them with the latest info (original contents + any
dynamically learnt changes).

Another way is ndc dumpdb which will dump the entire database.

=