recursive vs iterative

john.g.budnichuk at verizon.com john.g.budnichuk at verizon.com
Fri Aug 25 12:55:36 UTC 2000

I know that a iterative query response may include either a destination address
or referral address of another name server. If the response is the address of
another name
server, does that mean the resolver has to send the query to that name server?
The DNS and
BIND 3rd edition book, tries to show this distinction in Figures 2-12 and 2-13;
however, I don't
see the differences between iterative and recursive that they try to point out.
Both figures seem
to show recursive queries. Can anyone help clarify this topic for me?

Regards,

John Budnichuk