zone-xfer fails if kicked off by named, but manual named-xfer succeeds

Steve Goldsby sgoldsby at integrate-u.com
Thu Aug 24 21:12:38 UTC 2000

We have a very wierd problem.  We originally thought it might be a firewall
defect, but it doesn't appear to be now.

When named (8.2.2-P5) starts, it loads it's zone files, sends update
notifications to its slaves, and sends AXFRs to the domains for which it
slaves.

The problem we have is that the zone-xfers kick off from named (we see them
in ps ax), but no connections appear to get to the master DNS.  And on the
localhost (the slave requesting the zone xfer), we see

	Aug 15 10:25:35 m2 named[16114]: Err/TO getting serial# for
"gregcothran.com"
	Aug 15 10:38:44 m2 named[16114]: Err/TO getting serial# for "croniers.com"
	Aug 15 10:38:45 m2 named[16114]: Err/TO getting serial# for
"gryphongate.com"
	Aug 15 10:51:53 m2 named[16114]: Err/TO getting serial# for
"digitalbyzantium.com"

HOWEVER!

If we manually do the named-xfers, they work just fine.

Has anyone out there seen such behaviour before?  And if so, what was the
resolution?

I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Steve Goldsby, CEO, CISSP
Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc.