[Q] a nasty trick that does not work

Maurizio Codogno mau at beatles.cselt.it
Wed Aug 23 15:04:44 UTC 2000

Dear all,
I hoped to use named-xfer as a poor man's rcp, but unfortunately this
does not seem to be the case.

To be more precise, I wanted to have a series of resolvers r1,r2,...rn,
each one of which resolved zone foo.example in different ways: and all data
should be edited on a master site m0.

The naive solution I had was to create authoritative zones foo1.example,
foo2.example, ... foon.example at m0, have r1 both secondary for foo1.example
(with data saved on foo1.db), and primary for foo.example (with data read
from foo1.db). Of course all data in foo1.db was relative, starting from
SOA record for @ .

Unfortunately, named-xfer does not just copy the data but inserts $ORIGIN
records, so that foo1.db starts vith
$ORIGIN example.
foo1	IN	SOA [...]
and it cannot be used for zone foo.example.

Do you have any other idea? rcp could be fine, but it must be coupled with
a kill -HUP of the named server, and I don't like the idea too much.

ciao, .mau.