MX entries

stuart nichols stu at stac.state.tx.us
Tue Aug 22 18:02:02 UTC 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Timo Kloeckner wrote:

> I've got again a question concerning sendmail. Hope you can help.

> My configuration:
> I've got a linux server as mail server and I've got two windows 98
> SE clients.  I've installed a DNS server (bind v.4.?) on the linux
> machine.  I've only two MX entries in the configuration. One with
> the lower number is my linux server (IN MX 5
> server.chaos-family.de.) and the other one is for my mail server
> of my provider (IN MX 10 mail.btx.dtag.de.)

> My problem:

> I sent a mail from my windows client (mua:oulook) to the mail
> server. The recipient was a local account on the server
> (timo at server.chaos-family.de). I didn't get any errors.  Then I
> did a 'sendmail -q' on the linux server. And I got the following
> error messages:

> server.chaos-family.de. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
> <timo at server.chaos-family.de>... Local configuration error
> <timo at server.chaos-family.de>,root... Local configuration error
> root... Local configuration error
> MAILER-DAEMON... Saved message in /usr/tmp/dead.letter

This is not a bind error.  It is a MAILER-DAEMON error, in this
case a sendmail configuration error with sendmail.cw.  Please
consult a sendmail list or FAQ.  It is sure to be there.
The answer depends on your version of sendmail and how you
installed it, so it is not appropriate to start a thread on it
hear.

stu
office: (512) 463-7601
FAX:    (512) 475-4759

stuart nichols
State Technology Assessment Center
Texas Department of Information Resources
300 West 15th Street
Suite 1300
Austin  TX  78701