Problem delegating W2K underscore domains

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Aug 21 23:52:14 UTC 2000

> Our site runs BIND 8.2.2-P5 under Solaris. We are now rolling out
> Windows 2000 and have decided to use BIND, rather than the Microsoft DNS
> server. To this end I have delegated the following domains - _msdcs,
> _sites, _tcp and _udp to two of our BIND servers with the following
> entries:
>
> _msdcs    86400    IN    NS    dns1.mydomain.com.
>         86400    IN    NS    dns2.mydomain.com.
> _sites    86400    IN    NS    dns1.mydomain.com.
>         86400    IN    NS    dns2.mydomain.com.
> (etc.)
>
> In fact, dns1 is the primary DNS for mydomain.com, in addition to
> _msdcs.mydomain.com (etc.).
>
> My problem is that although the underscore domains are working fine, and
> dns2 is correctly retrieving the zones from dns1, if I do
> "nslookup -type=ns _msdcs.mydomain.com" I only get dns1 returned.

	You have show us the parent zone.  What are the contents of the
	child zone?  Are both NS records there?  Also unless you are
	mydomain.com (a real company), which you are not, stop using their
	domain name.  If you have to use a fake domain name use example.com
	which is reserved for this purpose or better still use the real
	name as then we can do some real online checking.  This way you
	can also cut and paste from the zone file and we can potentially
	see other errors.

> The interesting thing is that I am doing this already for a number of
> other subdomains and BOTH name servers are being returned in a type=NS
> query. It's only with these underscore domains that the second
> delegation seems to be ignored. It's almost as if it was something to do
> with the underscore character (and, yes, I have specified the
> appropriate check-names ignore).

	It's not related to underscores.

	Mark

--