DNS forwarders

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 18 22:57:10 UTC 2000

Company, Paul J. wrote:

> Can someone explain forwarders to me.
> I've read the O'Reilley book, and the archives and the man pages.
> I really think I understand it, but it's not working the way I'm
> interpreting the information.
>
> The way I understand it is, if a query comes in and you're not
> authoritative and you don't have the answer in your cache, then
> the query is forwarded to the list of forwarders in the list.

Yup, that's about right, except what I think you're missing is that
authoritativeness applies on a *zone* basis, not a name basis. So both HOST A
and HOST B both consider themselves authoritative for the zone "plpt.com" and
therefore never forward to each other for names in that zone.

If you want to set up forwarding for a name *underneath* that zone, e.g.
hostb3.plpt.com, you'd have to add a zone definition just for that one name.
Ditto for all other names in the zone that you want to be forwarded. Blech.

Why don't you just merge all the data into one zone? Make either HOST A or HOST
B a slave to the other.

- Kevin