domain still not resolving everywhere

J!M jim at symbolicsite.com
Fri Aug 18 14:01:13 UTC 2000

Hello Gurus,

A few weeks back, I set up my DNS (BIND 8.2.2-P5 / RH6.2) on a
DSL connection. I have a small block of static IP addresses
assigned from my DSL provider - after repeatedly asking them to
do a RFC-2317 style reverse delegation to me, and much waiting, I
was finally informed that they would not, nor was any explanation
available as to why... (after my service is running, I'm looking to
switch to a T-1 with my own subnet... we can all dream:-)

Here is my current situation - as far as I can tell, nearly everyone in
the world can see my domains:
http://www.dynamisys-llc.com
http://www.margecares.com
These are two of the domains I am setting up as Apache Name-
Based VirtualHosts on IP 64.32.42.253 -- my DSL provider
(RelayPoint.net) has that IP's PTR set to dsl-64-32-42-
253.dsl.ez2.net (ez2.net is my ISP, who apparently contracts DSL
with RelayPoint.net - they are also supposed to be my Secondary
DNS host on shadow.ez2.net -- 207.67.191.1).

Ugly huh?
Noone on EZ2.net's dial-up service can resolve any of my domains
using the names, the 64.32.42.253 IP resolves to dynamisys-
llc.com. The browser resolves the name to 64.32.42.253, then
times out while "connecting to ... ". Everyone else outside that I've
asked CAN see the domains, but it certainly isn't a representative
sample.

I'm sure that my reverse file is useless, or at least very wrong,
since I was anticipating delegation of my IP block...

What can I do with my in-addr.arpa. file since I am non-authoritative
for the IP block?

Any explanations for the non-resolution? I'm guessing the
Secondary being on the host network for the effected users is the
problem, but not sure why or how to correct...

I was playing with DIG to see if I could determine any of this on my
own, but it's still Greek to me. Can anyone recommend a good DIG
tutorial that explains the output -- nothing I searched on jumped out
as wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jim