Multiple network interface problem

Mathew Rouch mrouch at pfsdata.com
Fri Aug 18 16:15:43 UTC 2000

Hello, all.  I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this question has been
answered in the past (I didn't see it in recent posts.)

I've got a problem with IP address resolution for our web and ftp sites,
www.pfsdata.com and ftp.pfsdata.com.  Up until recently we had a single
point of access to the Internet (a T1 line,) and these two sites resolved to
our registered address 209.46.83.178.  Not long ago we added a second T1
line to the Internet to give us a) more bandwidth and b) a failover in case
one line went down.  The two lines are hosted by different ISPs.

We installed a new router outside our firewall with two serial interfaces.
One connects to our original T1, the other to the new one.  The new ISP
assigned us the registered address 209.98.219.1 for our web and FTP sites.
We are using NAT on the new router to translate queries for the new
registered address back to the old one, which is the configured address of
our firewall.

So far so good.  The above all works.  The only problem is with the routing
of queries.  My original intention was to download partial BGP routes from
both ISPs.  Unfortunately, one ISP refused to let us do this, and the other
is still waffling.  In order to effect load-balancing between the two T1
connections to the Internet, I have been forced to implement static routes.
This works, but it caused a problem.

I find that if someone tries to access www.pfsdata.com, it will resolve to
209.46.83.178.  The web request then comes in through our original T1
connection.  Unfortunately, since the routing here is now static, the T1
that is selected for the reply will depend on the source address of the
original query.  if it happens to be an address that is configured
(statically) to go out through the new T1, the source address of the reply
is changed to 209.98.219.1, and the originator of the request does not
recognize the reply as coming from our web server.  To that person, it looks
as though our web server is not responding to queries.

We originally had this same problem with our e-mail.  To fix it we added a
record for mail2.pfsdata.com that resolved to 209.98.219.1 and added a
secondary MX record to the DNS configuration which pointed to
mail2.pfsdata.com.  That way, if someone queries mail.pfsdata.com and gets
no reply, they are automatically redirected to mail2.pfsdata.com, and the
query works.

So my question (finally) is this:  Is there an equivalent way to configure
the DNS of www.pfsdata.com and ftp.pfsdata.com so that if they do not see a
response from 209.46.83.178, it will automatically roll over to the
secondary IP address 209.98.219.1?

Thanks in advance,

Mathew Rouch
Preferred Financial Systems