Only one PTR per IP (was: They just don't make a Lart big enough for this....)

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Aug 17 23:13:23 UTC 2000

> At 02:29 09.08.00 -0400, Gary Wardell wrote:
> >I thought there was only supposed to be one PTR per IP???
>
> I don't agree. I have always added a PTR RR for every A RR
> even if they refered to the same IP, without any protests or
> other ill effects.

	How do you know?  Depending upon your nameservers TCP buffer
	size you may be sending out TCP messages with tc set.

	Continually adding PTR's for every name that points to an
	address will eventually break.  Apart from that nothing uses
	anything but the first PTR returned.

	My advise is to pick one of the names of a machines and put
	it in the reverse mapping and to forget about the other names.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com