nslookup failures

Sears, Robert Sears at nlmoc.navy.mil
Thu Aug 17 13:35:46 UTC 2000

greetings all-

 here is my question, I operate the primary DNS (nlmoc1.nlmoc.navy.mil)
server for the domain nlmoc.navy.mil. I also resolve the name nlmof.navy.mil
at my primary DNS server. We have a group of users out of Florida who used
to be on a WAN with us and shared our Class C network. This group moved to
their own Internet connection, with their own IP block, but still point to
us nlmoc.navy.mil) for DNS resolution. When this group put up two hosts on
their new network I added then to my DNS tables.

thunder.nlmof.navy.mil    IN  A 138.137.105.10   I also did the PTR record.
When I do an NSlookup on the name to IP everything resolves. When I IP to
name lookup I get  nlmoc1.nlmoc.navy.mil can't find 138.137.105.10: Server
failed. I figured out since I don't own the IP block of 138.137.105.0, that
this might be the problem. I contacted the navy NIC and they put me in touch
with the owner of the IP block. The owners then put in an address
reassignment template basically assigning the 138.137.105.0 block to my DNS
server nlmoc1.nlmoc.navy.mil. They said this would pass all IP lookup
request to my DNS server.

I might be missing something, if the requests for IP resolution for the
138.137.105.0 blocks are being passed to me, why does my nslookup fail?

any help is greatly appreciated

-rob