[Q] Create/update zones by program/API ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 16 23:21:06 UTC 2000

Here's an explanation I just gave a few hours ago:

> RFC 2136 explains Dynamic Update in detail, but simply put, it just consists
> of special "queries" which a client can send to cause the nameserver to
> (conditionally) change its master zone data. The "nsupdate" program provided
> with BIND is a utility which is capable of forming Dynamic Updates and
> sending them to the appropriate server(s).
>
> To allow Dynamic Updates for a particular zone, use the
> "allow-update" statement, which can specify addresses, TSIG key names, or a
> combination of both. If you want to use crypto-authenticated Dynamic Update
> using TSIG, then your client will also need to have access to the relevant
> key (e.g. the "-k" option to nsupdate) so that it can properly sign the
> update requests.
>
> One gotcha is that once you've changed over to use Dynamic Update for a
> zone, then it's very difficult to reliably make non-Dynamic Update changes
> to the zone, since "named" will periodically overwrite the zone file. This
> also precludes the use of directives like $INCLUDE or $GENERATE. So, once
> you switch a zone to using Dynamic Update, count on doing *all* of your
> maintenance for that zone via Dynamic Update unless you switch back.
>

> - Kevin
>
> John Smith wrote:
>
> > can someone explain me what's dynamic update in DNS and how do i setup my
> > DNS so they'll support that? thanks

The only other things I'd add:

 1.   It is not currently possible to create or add a zone using Dynamic
Update. This is because RFC 2136 explicitly forbids addition or deletion
of SOA records. I don't really know why; Paul Vixie is being very
tight-lipped about the rationale behind this restriction. So you'll still
have to create the zones manually, but once they're created, you could use
Dynamic Update for everything else.

2.    In addition to the "nsupdate" program, there are also various API's
available if you want to write your own Dynamic Update utilities. You
might look and see if there's one available in Java.

- Kevin