Routing Error

SoloCDM deedsmis at aculink.net
Tue Aug 15 02:46:16 UTC 2000

Neil W Rickert wrote:

> SoloCDM <deedsmis at aculink.net> wrote:
>
> >Neil W Rickert wrote:

> >> You haven't given us a lot of information.
>
> >> I would guess that your ISP has set up MX records for these domains,
> >> directing the mail to their site.  But with incomplete information,
> >> I cannot check this.
>
> >It rejects the cdm02 host by sending back a MAILER-DAEMON.  The users
> >root and redneck and the cdm02.renfield.net domain were intact.  My
> >genericstable database is as follows:
>
> According to DNS, "cdm02.renfield.net is a nickname for renfield.net".
> Perhaps you should at least masquerade as renfield.net.
>
> If you are sending mail via your ISP server, you must ensure that you
> masquerade as a hostname acceptable to the ISP.

You've hit an idea I am just beginning to try and find an answer that
will resolve a problem.

Firstly, if I masquerade as the FQDN (cdm01.renfield.net), will my
other server and workstations be limited to the type of masquerading
that they're allowed or none at all, because they don't meet the FQDN
of the primary server?  (They'll only be renfield.net.)

Secondly, this brings me to the original issue.  As I understand this
masquerading, I am left with a perplexing problem.

There is a real domain name on the Internet with exactly the same last
part of my domain (renfield.net).  Does that real domain name take
precedence over my static domain name; thereby forcing my domain to
get routed to their domain?  If so, can I put a block in a table or
DNS that will stop or reroute any email with my domain from porting to
their domain (which causes my ISP to send me a MAILER-DAEMON, because
they think I made a mistake); therefore, only the intended host or
server within my domain will receive the email as intended?