ndc status

janl at linpro.no janl at linpro.no
Mon Aug 14 09:01:16 UTC 2000

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the "server is DONE priming" message means?  I
can't seem to find that documented anywhere on the web, news or in the
Book.  I've tried to dig in the source code, but I'm not man enough to
understand where the state that it bases the output on comes from :I

It seems that it cannot mean that it is persuing the root servers from
the hints file because that goes on for a little while after starting
named, and the priming is done immediately after startup.  It could
mean that it's done loading the hints file.  It could also mean that
it's done loading all the zones.  But this is mere speculation.

$ ndc status
named 8.2.2-P5 Mon Feb 28 10:17:53 EST 2000  \
      root at lookfar:/usr/src/bind-8.2.2_P5/src/bin/named
number of zones allocated: 64
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0