How do Stub Zones work

Kelly Scroggins kelly at cliffhanger.com
Sun Aug 13 04:08:21 UTC 2000

Quoting Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>:

   Kelly Scroggins wrote:

   > Please tell me if understand this correctly?
   >
   > If I have a stub zone to another company, and a client on my network
   > queries for a host on the stub zone, MY name server will the contact the
   > authoritative name server for that zone and resolve the name FOR the
   > client.
   >
   > In other words, the client on my network does not contact the name
   > server on the 'other zone', but instead, my name server does the work
   > FOR the client.

   That has nothing to do with whether the zone is "stub" or not. That has to
   do with the "allow-recursion" settings on the nameserver (the default is to
   allow recursion for all clients and zones). With recursion enabled, your
   nameserver will go and ask other nameservers about names in the zone,
   regardless of whether the zone is defined as type "stub" or "forward", or
   even if it isn't defined in your named.conf at all. If forwarding is used,
   though, it'll only ask certain *specific* nameservers about the zone;
   "stub" allows you a little more flexibility to ensure that it always asks
   the *appropriate* nameservers about the zone.

Thank you Kevin,

That's what I want to happen.  I'm trying to
convince some of our clients that they can let me
use stub zones while they maintain their security.

They would only need to open port 53, but would my
name server use udp or tcp to query their name
server?

I have a feeling you're going to say udp.
This is a killer with some of the companies I'm
dealing with.  Some comanies don't allow udp to
pass into the firewall.

   A stub zone is just a way for the nameserver to replicate the nameserver
   information about a zone. It's like being a slave, except you don't
   replicate the *entire* zone, just the nameserver information, so you aren't
   considered "authoritative" and you don't need "allow-transfer" authority.

If they used the "allow-transfer" option, they
could increase the security aspect.

kelly

   Stub zones are useful in mainly 4 different ways:
   1) as a more lightweight-but-less-redundant alternative to being a slave
   2) to get around "allow-transfer" restrictions
   3) because the zone being "stub"bed isn't actually delegated from its
   parent -- here, you're basically using "stub" to "hardwire" the NS'es into
   your nameserver
   4) when you need _some_ sort of zone definition in your named.conf file in
   order to turn off forwarding for a particular part of the namespace (via
   "forwarders { }"). This use is especially common in "split
   DNS" configurations.

   These uses are not mutually-exclusive, of course...

   - Kevin