How can i host virtual hosts via DNS?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 10 22:57:38 UTC 2000

The "proper" way is to use A records for domain names, e.g. example.com, and
either A records or CNAMEs for subdomains, e.g. www.example.com. You can't use
CNAMEs for the domain names, since CNAME records can't co-exist with any other
record type and there's at least an SOA an 1 NS record owned by each domain
name. If you want, you could just have the A records for the domain names, and
all other non-domain-name records be aliases to them.

Beyond that, it's all a matter of webserver configuration...

- Kevin