RCODE: Not Implemented

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 9 21:34:31 UTC 2000

The currently-defined opcodes are: QUERY (0), IQUERY (1), STATUS (2), NOTIFY
(4) and UPDATE (5). Opcode 3 is apparently reserved. See include/arpa/nameser.h
(search in lowercase).

IQUERY and STATUS opcodes are deprecated/obsolete; why do you care?

NOTIFY is (currently) something only sent between masters and slaves; there's
no perceived need to generate them from clients.

Any program that implements Dynamic Update, e.g. the "nsupdate" utility, is
capable of generating a query with an UPDATE opcode.

- Kevin