Choose from many name servers that are authorative for the same zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 9 21:20:33 UTC 2000

The RTT is a measure of how quickly the nameserver responds to queries. named
keeps track of the RTT for each nameserver and prefers faster ones. What else
do you need to know?

If you wanted to mimic this algorithm manually, you'd have to make multiple
queries to each nameserver in a list, record the RTT of the queries, average
them, and then use the one with the lowest average (if you were doing this
several times over a significant period of time, you'd probably want to use a
"decaying average" so that servers which are temporarily down or slow don't
keep getting penalized long after they recover).

- Kevin