Very strange problem

Vitor Colaco vitor.colaco at esdata.pt
Tue Aug 8 14:44:33 UTC 2000

dnsadmin at ttd.net wrote:
>         I've a very strange problem with DNS.
>         I'got two servers minerva.ttd.net 194.179.1.100 and
>         artemis.ttd.net 194.179.1.101. This two server has a lot of
> domains, and have been working ok for years. They have Solaris 7 patched
> to work with DNS and BIND 8.2.1.
>         Suddenly today they started to work bad. The strange, very
> strange problem is the next:

After any particular change?

>         In the servers: if I use 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf works ok. If I
> put 194.179.1.100 or 194.179.1.101 sometimes work and sometimes not!

they fail to work resolving local domains, remote domais, or both?
in case it's from remote domais, it could be some problem on you
communication with the rest of the World.

>         From any pc out of servers: most of queries ar answered, but a lot
> slowly than normaly.

once again, what kind of domains?

>         I've revised named.conf, resolv.conf, zone files, routing,
> firewalls, and it continues working bad.

Check again! If you made no changes to any of those things lately, my
guess goes for routing/communications problem, probably high data loss
or slow connectivity.

--
Vitor Colaco		| "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
Analista de Suporte	|