Should I have my own DNS Server?

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at is.co.za
Tue Aug 8 10:11:02 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 02:22:22AM +0000, 007_sam at my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello
> - My company is hosting of 20 websites of different customers and this
> no. will increase in future ( it might be 30-40 ).
> - We have leased class C IP addrs. from different companies for this.
> - Right now we don't have DNS so we rely on the companies where we
> leased the above IP address every time we setup new site.
> - We are using ADSL connections for Internet
> - Its NT Network and we are going to add 2 more unix server soon.
>
> Now as We are thinking of implementing our own DNS. I want to know
> that --- Is it a good idea (worth) to have our own DNS server instead
> of let the others manage names for my company FOR THE ABOVE NO OF WEB
> SITES.

depends on your definition of 'worth'.

first question i'd ask:
do you have the skills inhouse to manage this effectively?
or will you need to employ (usually expensive) consultants, to maintain these
machines?

most ISPs don't charge for making DNS changes - if yours doesn't, and if
they're not doing too shabby a job of making sure your changes get done
timeously, i'd say let them manage it.

-n.