Problem with Reverse DNS Lookup

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at is.co.za
Tue Aug 8 10:01:19 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 03:19:28AM +0000, Lily Lee wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> We have recently set up a secondary DNS server.  However, there seems to be
> a problem with the Reverse DNS lookup.  Our machine is a Solaris 2.5.  Bind
> Version is the older version-  4.x Version. All of my named.boot,
> named.local, named. root files should be OK because it is requesting info
> from the Primary DNS.  The nslookup also works internally.  However, other
> machines outside our domain can't find our DNS machine.  What is the
> problem?  (We are going to ask ARIN.Net to update our record.  We are in the
> process of doing that. )

what exactly do you mean `can't find out DNS machine?` - is nobody able to do
DNS lookups off this server?  if you provide us with an IP address, it will make it
easier to help you ...

> Another question:
> If I had a secondary DNS server and now I set up another secondary DNS
> server to replace the original one (using a different IP address and name).
> What are the steps to redirect the secondary DNS server so that other
> machines outside our domain can find our new 2nd DNS server.

if your new 2nd dns server is already able to do zone transfers from the
master, then you would need to submit an update request to your registering
authority listing your new 2nd server as a slave, instead of the older one.

-n.