DYnamic DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 7 15:46:17 UTC 2000

I'm not aware of any such HOWTO, but is it really that
difficult? Configure zones with "allow-update" statements (using
IP addresses, or, if you wish secured updates, key names, or a mix of
both), then use "nsupdate" (with the -k option if you're using keys),
some other standalone Dynamic Update utility, or an API, to make the
updates.

The only real gotcha that comes to mind is that you can't really mix
Dynamic Update with "static" update mechanisms (i.e. modifications of
the zone file, $INCLUDE or $GENERATE directives, etc.) for any given
zone, since "named" will periodically overwrite the zonefile, destroying
whatever changes you've made through means other than Dynamic Update. So
it's pretty much an "all or nothing" switchover for each zone.

- Kevin