DDNS related error

jacksomw at slu.edu jacksomw at slu.edu
Fri Aug 4 19:18:42 UTC 2000

We are trying to bring up a W2K server running Active Directory.  We
have a DNS/DHCP server running Red Hat Linux 6.2 with BIND version
8.2.3-T5B.  The dynamic part seems to be mostly OK in that DHCP clients
and W2K server are added to the database (both are given allow-update
privilege), but we are not totally functional.  The first message from
the W2K server that shows up in /var/log/messages is as follows:

named [1417]: error processing update packet (YXDOMAIN) id 2 from
[156.143.xxx.xxx].1035

There is activity in the _msdcs.db and _msdcs.db.ixfr and _msdcs.db.log
files, but we are still not able to succesfully start our Active
Directory services.  We think that we had it going a couple of weeks
ago, but no go now.  Can anyone help with the above error message?  It
looks as if the W2K server has set a failed prerequisite to an update
operation.  Whaddaya think?
Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Jackson (mailto:jacksomw at slu.edu)