xxx.in-addr.arpa quary

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 4 19:19:50 UTC 2000

Anton K Royce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thing our DNS server receives coorepted cash file from unknown DNS
> server.
> Could some one please tell me that how can I trace the server which
> sends the correpted cache.

First of all, DNS servers don't send each other cache *files*, at least
not through the DNS protocol itself. They might send corrupted or
incorrect *entries*, which are then cached, but not whole files.

You could turn on the "hoststats" option; then when you get a corrupted
entry, do a database dump (via "ndc dumpdb" or sending an INT signal to
the named process) and look for the corrupt entry. With "hoststats" on,
it should tell you where the entry came from.

By the way, what's with the bad spelling? I *know* the NZ school system
is better than that...

- Kevin