Simple Delegation Question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Aug 2 13:53:05 UTC 2000

Craig Mason wrote:
>I want to know - can systems from example.com live on subnets that also have
>hosts from corp.example.com? Or is it impossible to have hosts from two
>separate domains on the same subnet? (I'm thinking of PTR records problems
>at this point, and who is authoritative for what?!?!)
>
>This is to support a co-existence of a new  Windows 2000 Active Directory
>systems (corp.example.com) and production existing Unix and NT systems
> example.com).

The problem I see is with dynamic updates to the reverse zone.
If, for example, the reverse zone 192.168.5.x contains machines with
static IP addresses and Win2k machines with dynamic addresses, then
unless you do some careful splitting of this zone, you will have to
open the entire zone to DDNS.  It has been suggested in this forum that
static zones and dynamic zones be separated.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov