The use of underscores in hostnames

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 2 00:13:16 UTC 2000

Underscores are technically illegal in hostnames, for a number of
not-particularly-convincing reasons. Chapter and verse is RFC 1123,
Section 2.1 (incorporating by reference RFC 952, which excludes
underscore, _et_alia_, in the ASSUMPTIONS section, item 1). I guess
"nsupdate" enforces this restriction in some kind of clumsy way...

On the other hand, you didn't say what kind of DNS records these were.
Underscores _are_ legal in contexts other than hostnames (in SRV records,
for instance). So maybe this could be reported as a _bona_fide_ nsupdate
bug.

- Kevin