Domain resolution problem.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 31 23:50:13 UTC 2000

There's two problems here:

1) One of the delegated nameservers for the nbb.co.jp zone --
gatekeeper.nomurababcock.co.jp -- is not responding to queries.

2) The NS'es in the nbb.co.jp zone do not match the delegation NS'es: in
fact, the only NS reported by the only working nameserver for nbb.co.jp is
gatekeeper.nbb.co.jp, with the same address as the other, non-responding
"gatekeeper". Because the NS'es are wrong, other nameservers may expire the
mailguard.nbb.co.jp A record out of their caches and then not be able to
resolve it again until the NS record also expires and they get a fresh set
of delegation NS'es from the co.jp nameservers. Since the TTL on the NS is
a day, this can mean multiple-hour delays. Note that even if
"gatekeeper" were working, the bad NS records could result in deadlock, if
the A record happens to expire from the cache before the NS record does.
The permanent fix is to make the zone NS'es match the delegation NS'es.

- Kevin