Auto adding zones to a slave server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 31 20:29:41 UTC 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:15:42PM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> It's not necessarily broken behavior; the Windows 2000 DNS MMC plug-in
> allows you to control multiple servers via one interface, and signaling
> for this is probably travelling out-of-band from the actual DNS updates
> (either via the MMC or the Active Directory).

Well then, the original asker should get one of the Web-based or GUI
DNS config apps we've discussed, use it to generate slave zones on the
remote name servers, and then claim that on Unix they propagated.  But
it's not the same thing as propagating the zone by DNS.

Hmmph.  To be fair, I don't think that's exactly what was claimed.  ;-/

> Like many things Microsoft, it makes assumptions about how you use your
> DNS, but those assumptions are not always bad.

But they can be disabling, if they restrict your degrees of freedom.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B