Newbie question on DNS

Delmer Harris dharris at kcp.com
Thu Aug 31 15:53:05 UTC 2000

Guillermo:

Opinion follows:

DNS provides a look-up service where you can determine the IP address if
you know the assigned name.  It also lets you determine an assigned name if
you know the IP address.  If you and your users can remember the IP address
of every system which you need to access (servers _and_ workstations), and
if your IP addresses _never_ change, then you don't need DNS.

However, if you want to refer to a system as SYSTEMA, no matter where it
exists on your network, then DNS is quite helpful.  Everyone can make links
to SYSTEMA using the currently assigned IP address as reported by DNS.
This means you can move SYSTEMA around your network, or have a backup
on-line and ready to be called SYSTEMA when the real SYSTEMA breaks, and
never have to reconfigure any user or application which must access the
information on SYSTEMA.

So - systems never accessed from the network don't _need_ DNS, it's only a
Good Thing (tm).  Access to systems via the network is more flexible when
you use DNS.

Guillermo Villasana Cardoza <terius at villasana.com.mx> on 08/31/2000
10:35:11 AM