AW: Who is using my Nameserver

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 31 08:52:37 UTC 2000

    Elmar> Thanks Jim for your help, but currently I'm using BIND
    Elmar> 4.8.3 for the next 6 to 8 weeks.  Then I will switch to
    Elmar> BIND 8. Is there also an option in BIND 4 to log all
    Elmar> queries ?

Yes, "options querylog" in named.boot (or something like that) should
work. A -q flag to named enables query logging too. You can also
toggle query logging with a signal: check your documentation. The man
page for named should tell you which signal to send the process. I
don't know (or care) if any of these possibilties work in 4.8 or even
if 4.8 supports query logging at all. That code is really very old and
should have been buried a long time ago. IIRC enabling query logging
was a compile-time setting for BIND4 so it might not be provided on
your server even if the code was available.

In BIND4, the query logs are sent to syslog. In BIND8 you can log them
to a file directly, which is more efficient if your server gets 10s of
queries a second or more.

I'd recommend you upgrade to BIND8 straight away and figure out from
there how to deal with query logging. There doesn't seem much point to
making query logging work - if it works at all - in prehistoric code
that you're going to junk in a few weeks.