BIND Bug

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Aug 31 08:17:30 UTC 2000

> People,
>
> We are running:
>
> named 8.1.2-REL
>
> On Compaq T64 v5.0A.
>
> There appears to be a problem with RR CNAME / MX's
>
> See below:
>
> # cat ns.sh
> nslookup <<HERE
> ls tafensw.edu.au.
> HERE
>
> # sh ns.sh | grep -i sci
> sci                     30M IN CNAME    hadsy8.isd
>
> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy7.isd.tafensw.edu.au.
> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy8.isd.tafensw.edu.au.
>
> Before we scream down an upgrade to 8.2.2PL5, does anyone know if this is a
> known defect in 8.1.2?

	No. It is an illegal configuration.  There can be only one
	cannonical name.  BIND 8.2.2-P5 complains even more.  If you
	really need multiple-cnames that set that option however it is
	not availble in BIND 9.

	I suggest that you also look at:
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html

	Mark