bind vs djbdns

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at innominate.de
Thu Aug 31 07:10:13 UTC 2000

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 06:21:32PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> It's interesting that the BIND company recently stopped providing TXT
> records for the RSS list because it was having trouble with the large
> zone file. The same amount of data is trivial to handle with rbldns.

I totally agree. I got lots of timeouts during zone transfers. And since
incremental zone transfer doesn't work properly in BIND-8.2.2, I only get
the zone sporadically.

> Supposedly you guys---the BIND company and its financial partners---
> received tons of money for BIND 9 programming. So why are you having so
> much trouble implementing something as basic as an on-disk hash table?
> This isn't rocket science.

:) Perhaps one could actually write a reliable BIND that is implemented in a
efficient and secure way, but creating tinydns has surely been easier (not
easy, but easier)