fu**ing frustrated

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Aug 30 23:34:06 UTC 2000

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 06:51:30PM -0400, Hayden Wimmer wrote:

> that is the problem, nslookup tells me that it cannot find the default
> server for the domain, the error says cant find server for the servers ip
> address.  when named starts it says that there are no ns rr's at zone top,
> the record is there however, in the form
>
> IN     NS    nameserver.domain.com.

Hence your comment about spaces.

If a "word" is in the left column, it is a domain name.  The above line
says, "hi, I have a subdomain named "IN", and its name server is
'nameserver.domain.com.'".  You must precede the "IN" with several
space or tab characters, to let BIND know that you are referring to the
preceding domain [presumably the zone's domain, if this is right after
the SOA record], with an INternet class and a NameServer type.

If your editor cannot manage this, you can make this:

@		IN	NS	nameserver.domain.com.

PLEASE NOTE that, although in this case it alerted you to a genuine
problem, the 'nslookup' message about rejecting a server because it
does not report back its own name via reverse DNS is an 'nslookup'
peculiarity only, and does not reflect that actual DNS actions.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B