Question about IP Aliasing

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 30 20:33:30 UTC 2000

    Hugo> Hi all, I have a box running Linux 2.0.36 (Red Hat 5.2) and
    Hugo> I get assigned IP address by DHCP (static though). Can I
    Hugo> somehow use one NIC to get two (or more) public IP addresses
    Hugo> if I want to have a DNS server? I'm not sure it this can
    Hugo> work because I believe that DHCP assigns addresses based on
    Hugo> MAC addresses (?)

What are you trying to do? Pretend to have two name servers for your
zone? If so, adding a virtual IP address to your network interface is
not the way to go. The prime reason for having 2 or more name servers
for any DNS zone is to eliminate a single point of failure. Faking a
second name server on the same box does not achieve that. Get your ISP
to provide a second, off-site name server for your zone. Or use one of
the companies who offer a DNS hosting service.

The name server doesn't care what IP addresses are active on your
network interface(s) - within reason - or where you got them from.
However if you're getting an address from a DHCP server, you better
make sure it's the same address every time. Otherwise the delegation
for your zone could point at an address in some DHCP server's pool
that's been handed out to the next user who comes along and plugs in
to the network.