Virtual Hosting Howto

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 30 18:02:03 UTC 2000

The DNS part of this task is just to arrange for multiple names to resolve
to the same IP address. This can be done either by aliasing one or more
names to an A record, e.g.

(in the mydomain.net zone)
www    in    a    1.2.3.4

(in the yourdomain.org zone and any other zones)
www    in    cname    www.mydomain.net.

or by having multiple A records with the same address, e.g.

(in the mydomain.net zone)
www    in    a    1.2.3.4

(in the yourdomain.org zone and any other zones)
www    in    a    1.2.3.4

(note that the second approach is *mandatory* in the case of names which
also happen to be domain names, e.g. "yourdomain.org", since CNAMEs can't
co-exist with other record types, like the domain's SOA or NS records).
The downside of the first approach is that you have multiple places to
maintain the address information, and a reverse-lookup ambiguity is
created, i.e. should 1.2.3.4 reverse-lookup to www.mydomain.net or
www.yourdomain.org?

Everything beyond that is a matter of webserver configuration, which is
beyond the scope of this list and the reference materials you cited.

- Kevin