Active Directory and DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Aug 30 13:11:00 UTC 2000

hoyoung at us.ibm.com wrote:

>My problems is that ourzones.org has been used with MX records
>(ourzones.org IN MX ....).  I assume this will cause problems if it's been
>used by w2k DCs.  What's the work around?

There should be no problem.  MX records are like SRV records
in their purpose.  They tell where to find a given service.  With

     ourzones.org IN MX ....

you are telling people where to send mail addressed to

     _____ at ourzones.org

There is no conflict if ourzones.org has one or more IP addresses.
The conflict exists in this case:

     ourzones.org     IN CNAME www.ourzones.org
     www.ourzones.org IN A     192.168.2.3

     ourzones.org     IN A     192.168.1.2

where the CNAME is inserted by the DNS administrator to allow users to
use either of these URLs

     http://www.ourzones.org
     http://ourzones.org

If MS Win2k comes along and tries to register the "A" record, BIND
will complain because the definition for ourzones.org will be
ambiguous --

     Is the address for ourzones.org 192.168.2.3 (the CNAME)?
     Or is the address for ourzones.org 192.168.1.2 (the address of
        the MS Win2k Domain Controller)?

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov