Bind-8.2.2 compile question

Sheer El-Showk sheer at tartarus.netherrealm.net
Sat Apr 29 21:32:44 UTC 2000

Hi,

I've recently upgraded some Linux systems from Bind-8.1.2 to Bind-8.2.2 by
downloading the new source, compiling it in a seperate directory, shutting
down the old bind version (/usr/sbin/ndc stop), and then doing a 'make
install' in the new bind source directory.  Everything seems to be working
fine, but I'm just worried that the bind install might not overwrite
everything in the old install (I mean I'm sure I'm now running 8.2.2 -- I
checked with nslookup, but I'm worried that files lying around from the
old install might somehow pose a security hazard).  Is this the standard
procedure for a bind upgrade?  Are there any security precautions I should
take since the old version of bind had many known exploits and I never
actually removed it?

Thanks,
Sheer El-Showk